Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Log House Restaurant Part III

This will be our final day visiting Log House Restaurant in Wytheville, Virginia. Remember? I promised to take you outside, into the garden.  Well, let's go.
Our first stop is, actually still inside the cabin.  Where several rooms are joined there remains a very small open spot. In this spot, the owner keeps Eastern box turtles Terrapene carolina carolina
This is really the only thing I don't like about the restaurant.  Box turtles usually don't do well in captivity. We were told that the owner exchanges the turtles every-so-often with other turtles but I really don't like seeing them taken out of the wild.  I admit that I don't know the whole story. Perhaps the owner is  licensed to take care of the turtles or maybe they are part of a rehabilitation project. I asked if the owner was around for me to speak to but was told, "no."   
The turtle area is gray except for the yellow and orange of the female and male  Box turtles but look at that fern.  Prehistorically beautiful, right?
Now, outside, like I promised.
Statuary and art abound . . .
accented by color and form.

Flowers fill nooks and crannies
softening the edges of enclosures,
enclosures that hold surprises of their own. The pet rabbit is nibbling at the foot of what I think is an apartment house for doves.
If you come, I encourage you to dust off one of the seats and take it all in.

                                                                         There is much to see. Our last visit was in late August as summer was winding down toward autumn. Nodding sunflowers were setting seeds while the gardner pruned Trumpet vines at curbside. 
At the garden's edge, carpenters were working to complete another cabin.  Once completed, this one will house an artist's studio and shop.
So, I'll return another time to see what is new in the Log House Restaurant, linking our time with those who began building in 1776.
----------------------------------
If you want to visit Log House Restaurant go all the way into Wytheville, Virginia.  Be careful that you don't go, instead to the  Log "Cabin" Restaurant which is closer to the interstate exit. I have never been there. the Log House Restaurant is in the old traditional part of town.

If you want to find deals at Amazon and help me support my blogging habit so that I can keep writing then go to  My Amazing Amazon Store.  Be sure to use your curser to view the whole page if it is cut off in your browser.

No comments: